This is a powerful process / ritual for clearing negative, painful, judgmental thoughts and feelings.
It can be done on a regular basis or as needed, when feelings of hopelessness, fear, or sadness become overwhelming. Taking pen to paper in releasing emotions can be more effective than just talking or waiting for tomorrow to feel better.
- Set a timer for no less than 10 and no more than 30 minutes.
- Get a blank pad of paper with plenty of pages (not your journal).
- Light a candle.
- Write out every negative thought and feeling that you crosses your mind. “Vomit out” all your upset onto the pages. Do not hold back. Do not read what you have written. * These are your most unrestrained, negative, upsetting judgments and emotions about yourself and others. It’s giving voice to all your doubts and fears in the strongest language possible. Don’t bother trying to keep it legible, since you don’t want these going back into your consciousness by looking it again.
- When you’re finished, burn it.
- While burning the pages, set your intention to release the thoughts and feelings you wrote on the pages.
* If during the purging, you have moments of clarity and inspiration, ideas you want to investigate further – go ahead and make a note so you can return to it later.